Put your assessment ideas into action with the IIS grant
Deadline 15 May
Are you planning to try out new methods of assessment and testing, or have you already begun doing so? Are your students learning all manner of skills, while you have yet to find a satisfactory way to evaluate their development? Do you want to assess a new learning objective and are you looking for the best way to do this? If any of this applies to you, these funds from the IIS (Institute for Interdisciplinary Studies, UvA) could offer you the chance to put your ideas into action.
Skills such as cooperation, leadership, reflection, etc. are difficult to evaluate based on the standard forms of testing. In order to find out if a student has successfully developed these skills, it may be necessary for you to apply alternate forms of assessment. The IIS supports UvA lecturers who are interested in participating in a pilot aimed at implementing alternative concepts and procedures for assessment, evaluating these new tools and sharing their materials and experiences with others. The IIS has made funding available that you, as a lecturer, can use to innovate and make improvements within the course you teach.
For whom are the grants intended?
- You are a lecturer or team of lecturers who teach one or more courses at the UvA and are responsible for the testing and assessment of your course;
- You feel that involvement in educational innovation is an interesting opportunity;
- You are prepared to share your own knowledge and inspire others;
- You hold a position at the UvA for at least 0.5 FTE, which will last (at minimum) for the duration of the pilot;
- Your supervisor has granted you permission to invest work hours in this project.
This call for proposal is for grants available for courses scheduled to begin in semester 1, of the 2017/2018 academic year. The duration of the pilots will be at least six months, up to a maximum of twelve months. Pilots may begin four months before the start of the course in question. A maximum of 80 hours is available for each grant; the precise duration will depend on the proposal submitted. These hours will be in addition to the hours already assigned for this course. A maximum of 3 applications will be awarded grants for this call; this total includes all UvA faculties.
Structure of the project
If you are awarded a grant, the hours you will receive should be spent:
- Setting up the new method of assessment (before the course starts)
- Implementing your plans while the course is in progress
- Evaluating the results
- Sharing the knowledge that has been gained with others
The IIS can offer you help and support as you elaborate your plans; they can provide consultation with an expert on testing and share relevant best practices.
The deadline for submitting project applications for the first semester of the 2017/2018 academic year is Monday 15 May. Please use the button below to submit your grant request.
For more info on Criteria and Procedure, click here